Wednesday, September 9, 2020

The Lies: A Tale in 1 Act


Editor's Note: I submitted this script to a couple of contests for dramatic script writing. It wasn't a winner by their standards, but I was recently reminded that seeking acclaim alone doesn't bring joy, creating does. And sometimes the joy of creating should be enough.

If you found your way here, please enjoy.


FADE IN:

INT. HOTEL ROOM - EVENING

Two people lay next to each other in a hotel bed; SETH (34) and MARIA (37). The seem fairly comfortable in their surroundings.

They are both skimming through their cell phones, as if they are searching for something.

SETH

What about April 5th?

Maria looks at her phone, searching for the calendar.

MARIA

No good, I’m out of town that week. I have that conference, remember?

SETH

Oh, that’s right. Tuscan.

MARIA

The very same.

SETH

I hate that town. It’s always hot. Even when the AC is on, it feels like you’re stuck in an oven.

MARIA

Well you know, that’s the gig. Pharmacy samples aren’t going to hand themselves out.

SETH

At least the spread is usually good.

MARIA

And the open bar.

SETH 

Preach it, sister.

They give each other a playful high-five while continuing to scroll through their phones.

MARIA

What about May 10th?

SETH

Nope, bachelor party weekend.

MARIA

Oh really? Who’s?

SETH

Paul.

MARIA

I thought you already had a bachelor party for Paul?

SETH

No, that was for Zack.

Maria shrugs while she continues to scroll through her phone.

MARIA

It’s hard to keep all of your friends straight. You have too many of them.

SETH

I can forgive you for mixing those two up, they are twins after all. 

MARIA

Oh yeah. Is Zack the ugly one or the really ugly one?

SETH

The ugly one.

MARIA

Good news for the bride, I guess.

SETH

How about June 7th?

A lightbulb goes off in Maria’s head. She smirks.

MARIA

That… might actually work.

SETH

Really? Did we finally figure it out?

Maria scans her phone for confirmation, then looks at Seth with a broad smile.

MARIA

That’s when Eric goes to camp.

Seth continues to skim through his phone, barely registering what she said.

SETH

Oh wow. 

Seth stops with a sudden realization. He looks at Maria who has a coy smile.

SEITH (CONT’d)

Wait, is this that camp in New Milford?

MARIA

The creative arts camp-

SETH

-That was an hour away from that awesome B&B?

MARIA

The beautiful victorian house with the wrap around porch-

SETH

-That overlooked the mountains?

MARIA

The very same.

Seth excitedly moves in and kisses Maria passionately on the lips. Maria returns the kiss with equal ferocity.

SETH

Man that was a great weekend.

MARIA

It was the most relaxed I’ve ever seen you.

SETH

It was amazing.

Maria picks her phone back up and leans into Seth. He wraps his arm around her and kisses her head.

MARIA

Should I go ahead and book our reservation?

SETH

Please.

Maria starts to type away on her phone as Seth lays his head on hers.

SETH (Cont’d)

I think it’s great that you send Eric there. To creative arts camp, I mean.

MARIA

Well, he doesn’t like sports. He needs something for his college applications.

SETH

You know I used to do theatre in school, right?

Maria stops typing and looks at Seth in surprise.

MARIA

You? Really?

SETH

After all these years I’ve never told you that?

MARIA

Never.

SETH

You are currently laying in bed with a man that at one time graced the stage as both King Lear and Sweeney Todd.

MARIA

I don’t believe you.

SETH

Hand to god.

Maria laughs in disbelief.

MARIA

King Lear and Sweeney Todd. Aren’t those two different shows?

SETH

Well, it was a challenging script.

Maria giggles as Seth kisses her cheek and neck. She lays her head on his chest and listens to his heart beat.

SETH (Cont'd)

Seriously though, I know you’re not crazy about the arts. It’s really cool that you let him embrace that side of himself.

MARIA

I don’t really have much of a choice. I don’t want him to be some anti-social weirdo. This at least gets him out of the house.

SETH

I’m telling you, doing plays really brought me out of my shell. You’d be surprised how much of my theatre experience I use at work.

Maria sits up and looks at Seth with an grin and a raised eyebrow. She smells bullshit.

MARIA

We’re in the same field. How the hell do you apply playing pretend with pharmaceutical sales?

SETH

It’s not “playing pretend.” It’s a skill.

Maria dramatically bows.

MARIA

Oh, my apologies.

Seth holds his hand up regally.

SETH

You are quite forgiven.

They laugh, and snuggle closer.

MARIA

I bet you were really cute singing and dancing on a stage.

SETH

Can’t say it ever hurt my love life.

Maria smiles, then leans in and kisses Seth again.

MARIA

This is really nice. 

SETH

You like hearing about how the theatre turned me from dud to stud?

MARIA

No. I mean just being here. Together. 

Seth wraps his arms around Maria and pulls her in close.

SETH

It really is.

They look at each other lovingly. Seth kisses her on the forehead and she lays her head on his chest.

SETH

You know, if Eric ever needs pointers on how to command the stage, I could give you some tips you can teach him.

Maria’s smile fades at the mention of her son’s name. 

MARIA

I don’t know. I honestly don’t see how doing plays at a theatre camp benefits you in the real world.

Seth looks at her, slightly amused by her statement.

SETH

How can you not? You do it all the time.

MARIA

What? I do not.

SETH

Think about it; you put on a nice outfit, bring the doctors a nice lunch, schmooze them over cocktails. It’s all about the presentation. How do you think we convince all of those stuffed shirts to take our samples? To put in way too many orders for thousands of dollars worth of merchandise? 

MARIA

I like to think my endless charm and wit have a big part to play in it.

SETH

It’s a performance. Everything we do is an act. 

Maria sits back and picks up her phone and starts to scroll again, slightly put off.

MARIA

Oh please.

SETH

It’s what we need to do to survive. If we didn’t pretend then what would we say? “Hello, I’d like to introduce you to our new product; a pill that makes your nausea disappear, along with your sex drive!”

Maria keeps scrolling through her phone, growing less and less interested in the conversation.

MARIA

Well, you probably have to put on an act, slinging product like that.

SETH

You know I’m telling the truth. It’s all bullshit. The whole industry. We do it because we’re great at pretending to be someone that we aren’t. 

Maria looks away from her phone. Her smile is gone, her features beginning to harden. 

MARIA

It sounds to me like you’re saying we’re really good liars.

Seth can read it all over Maria’s face; he overstepped.

SETH

Maria, come one, you know that’s not what I meant.

She looks back at her phone. A hint of frustration invades her tone.

MARIA

It sure sounds like that’s what you meant.

SETH

I’m just saying there’s a level of performance that goes into our work. “Fake it till you make it.” I don’t know how you can deny that.

Maria is getting annoyed.

MARIA

I don’t need to fake it, Seth. I don’t need to lie to survive.

Seth scoffs, and playfully rolls his eyes.

SETH

Oh really? What do you call this then.

Maria stops scrolling, turns her phone off, and gently places it on the nightstand. She looks at Seth with stone cold resolve.

Her game face is on. Seth know’s he’s screwed.

MARIA

You know what I think Seth? I think you confuse work with play. I think you don’t know when it’s time to stop goofing around and take things seriously.

Seth looks away from her. He wasn’t ready for this conversation.

MARIA (Cont’d)

If you did, you might find that you are quite good at your job based on your charm alone. But, you don’t want to do that. You overstep. You always overstep.

Seth crosses his arms in frustration. He looks like a pouting child.

MARIA (Cont’d)

And because you overstep, you have to do damage control. You’re forced to stroke the egos of people richer and more powerful - but less interesting and clever than you - in order to push your crappy products on them. You have to work overtime just to appear on their level.

Seth bites his lip. Hard. Maria doesn’t let up.

MARIA (Cont’d)

The difference between you and I Seth, is that when I walk into that same room with those same people, I do not have to put on a performance. I don’t need to play pretend because I am good at my job. The products I sell are good. They want me, and they want what I’m selling. When I am in that room, I don’t need to impress anyone with some illusion of power. I am the power.

Maria picks her phone back up and returns to her scrolling. 

Seth shakes his head in disbelief.

SETH

If you’re so powerful then why do you have to lie about what you’re doing whenever we’re together?

Maria puts her phone back down on the nightstand. Her stone cold demeanor hasn’t changed, but her eyes are set aflame. 

Seth knows this look. He’s really done it now.

MARIA

I beg your pardon?

Seth tries to put on a tough face. It doesn’t work.

SETH

What are we doing here, Maria?

MARIA

I am not having this conversation.

SETH

You never want to have this conversation.

MARIA

We agreed, Seth-

Seth jumps in, feeling a boldness he was previously lacking.

SETH

-No, you agreed! You decided this is how it’s going to be. I never got a say in any of it-

MARIA

-That’s because you don’t have anything to lose.

Seth pulls back and leans against the headboard. He bites his lip again, and looks down at his lap. 

This is Seth tapping out.

Maria watches Seth’s reaction, and she begins to soften. 

MARIA (Cont’d)

Why are we arguing? We still have the rest of the weekend together. Let’s not ruin it, huh?

Maria grabs the back of Seth’s head and pulls him in for a kiss. It’s gentle and soft, if not without passion.

Maria gets up out of bed and walks into the bathroom, leaving the door open a crack. 

Seth stays in the bed, still reeling from the previous conversation. Running water can be heard from the bathroom.

MARIA (Cont’d)(O.s.)

I was thinking we could get out of the lodge tonight. I’m sick of room service. Maybe go into town for dinner? 

Maria’s phone springs to life, vibrating on the nightstand.

Seth leans over to see who’s calling. He frowns.

It’s CHAD.

MARIA (Cont’d)(o.S.)

There’s an Italian place that’s supposed to be good. I’m really in the mood for carbs.

Seth picks up the phone as it vibrates in his hand. He stares at the picture associated with the caller: 

Maria and Chad together wrapped in each other’s arms. Maria’s cheek is pressed against his chest and his chin is resting on her head.

They’re smiling. They look absolutely joyous. 

Seth feels a lump growing in his throat.

MARIA (COnt’d)(O.s.)

I bet you could get a nice steak there. I’ve heard their wine selection is pretty good. At least the menu has more to offer than “White” or “Red”.

Seth hovers his thumb over the “accept call” button. He hesitates. 

The phone continues to vibrate. 

MARIA (Cont’d)(O.s.)

Maybe after dinner we can take a walk. Apparently there’s an arts festival happening this weekend. Lots of vendors in town selling their stuff. Could be fun.

Seth clicks the button, accepting the call.

He holds the phone up to his ear.

CHAD (O.s.)

Hey babe.

The lump in Seth’s throat has moved to his chest, knocking the wind out of him. He’s unable to breath.

CHAD (Cont’d)(O.s.)

Hello?

Seth continues to listen, the weight in his chest becoming too much to carry. 

CHAD (Cont’d)(O.s.)

Maria, are you there-

Seth hangs up the phone, and takes in a big gust of air, finally able to draw another breath.

He tosses the phone on the bed and buries his face in his hands.

Maria walks back into the room while putting on earrings, dressed for a night out on the town.

MARIA

What do you think, babe?

Babe. He called her babe.

Seth takes his face out of his hands and looks at Maria with resentment.

SETH

Sounds good.

He climbs out of bed and walks into the bathroom, shutting the door behind him.

Maria is perplexed. She sits down on the bed, processing Seth’s demeanor. She reaches over to the nightstand to grab her phone, only to realize it isn’t there.

Her confusion grows once she hears the sound of her phone vibrating. Her eyes follow the sound to the center of the bed.

It’s Chad.

She grabs the phone and takes into her hands and holds it tightly. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.

When she opens them, the panic has dissolved. She is calm. Confident. Powerful. It’s a quick-change she’s made a thousand times.

She answers the phone with a big smile on her face.

MARIA

Hey babe!

She pauses, listening to Chad on the other end. Panic enters her eyes, but her voice doesn’t give it away.

MARIA (Cont’d)

You called? When-

Maria suddenly puts it all together. She looks at the bathroom door, fury overtaking the panic that once resided inside her.

MARIA (Cont’d)

Oh, I’m sorry. The reception has been terrible.

She pauses again, listening intently. Her eyes are shooting daggers at the bathroom door.

MARIA (COnt’d)

The conference is fine. You know how it goes. Doctor’s to impress, pills to push. Same old song and dance.

Maria listens to Chad as she stands up and walks over to  the bathroom door. She looks down at the doorknob, contemplating her next move. 

MARIA (Cont’d)

Yes, I did send in Eric’s camp registration. Check is in the mail. Everything is good for June.

She stares at the doorknob with growing fury. She reaches her hand out to grab it.

Her hand stops and hovers over the doorknob. She pulls back.

MARIA (Cont’d)

Look, I better go. Gotta get back to the grind. Those samples aren’t going to hand out themselves.

Maria fakes a laugh. Her face tells a different story; one of guilt, anger, and shame.

MARIA (Cont’d)

I’ll see you Monday. Give Eric a kiss for me.

Maria closes her eyes, trying to gather herself.

MARIA (Cont’d)

You too.

She sits back down on the bed, and hangs up. Maria looks toward the bathroom door, her anger brewing.

The door opens. Seth steps into the room dressed for a night out. He buttons his shirt as he stares at Maria.

She stands up and takes a step toward him. Her rage overtakes her. 

Maria

What - THE FUCK - were you thinking?

Seth walks past her over to his side of the bed. He sits down, then picks up his watch and puts it on his wrist.

Maria (cont’d)

Do you have any idea the damage you could have done? 

Seth doesn’t respond. He finishes fastening his watch and begins to put on his shoes.

MARIA (cont’d)

If Chad had heard you… if he knew you were here… it would have been catastrophic. Do you realize that?

Hunched over, Seth silently continues his task. He won’t even look at her.

Maria has had it.

MARIA (cont’d)

Look at me, god dammit!

Seth sits up, slowly. He turns toward Maria.

 MARIA (cont’d)

Do you have any sense at all? What is the matter with you?

SETH

I’m sorry.

MARIA

You’re sorry? Bullshit.

SETH

I didn’t say anything to him.

MARIA

Why? Why would you ever do something so dense?

SETH

I just needed-

He stops. Seth looks away from Maria, ashamed.

Maria’s fury only builds.

MARIA

You needed? What did you need, Seth?

SETH

I don’t know. 

MARIA

Yes you do. Spit it out.

SETH

I needed to know what makes him so special. Why you’ve stayed with him all this time. But, I couldn’t do it.

Maria is dumbstruck with anger.

MARIA

You stupid insecure child. How DARE you. How dare you jeopardize my family like that.

Seth turns away and looks to the ground, biting his lip.

MARIA (Cont’d)

This is just like you. Typical Seth. You had to overstep. Again. For what? To satiate your fragile ego?

Seth’s leg starts to shake. He bites his lip harder.

MARIA (Cont’d)

Do you even know the risk you took? Of course you don’t. Because it wasn’t a risk to you, was it? You had to mark your territory. God forbid you care about anyone other than yourself.

That’s it.

Seth stands up and turns toward Maria in full-on attack mode.

Battle stations.

SETH

How dare me? How dare you! You’re the one screwing another man behind your husband’s back!

Maria’s eyes grow wide with fury. That did it.

MARIA

Go to hell, Seth.

SETH

You have no problem sneaking off every couple of months while he’s at home with your kid. You wanna blame me for your unhappy life, Maria? Give me a break.

MARIA

What do you know about my life? You don’t know anything about me Seth. You only know what I let you know.

SETH

Oh I know more than you want to admit. 

Maria grabs her hair in frustration. She sits down on the bed to collect herself.

SETH (Cont’d)

What, you think I’ve only been interested in one thing? You think I don’t care about you? About us? After all this time?

Maria lifts her head. She’s rallied. Her stone resolve has returned.

MARIA

Oh you care? Why don’t we flip the mirror around Seth. Not once have you ever shown any resistance to the idea of fucking another man’s wife.

SETH

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Maria stands up confidently, and walks toward Seth.

MARIA

It means that you have been perfectly content with this arrangement for years. You get what you want, I get what I want. It’s physical, not emotional. Don’t pretend to give a shit now “after all this time” just because your ego is hurt.

Seth is taken aback, completely blindsided by the accusation.

SETH

It’s more than that.

MARIA

What, you think because we make small talk about my son after I get you off, that makes us something special? That going to dinner and letting you flaunt me around like I’m your trophy a couple times a year isn’t anything more than a thrill? 

Seth’s resolve begins to crack. Maria can see it. 

She moves in for the kill.

MARIA

It’s just play, Seth. Pretend. It’s what you love. It’s what you’re good at, remember? Don’t ruin a good time because you’ve overinflated what this is.

Seth is on the ropes. Maria sets her sights on her target. She launches her final missile.

MARIA (Cont’d)

What I have at home with Chad and Eric, that’s real. This? It’s just a chance to blow off some steam and have some fun. But, you’ve gone and confused things. When the weekend is over you always become a sad sack. And, it’s not because I’m going home to my family. No, it’s sadder than that. It’s because you don’t have anyone to go home to. 

Target destroyed.

Maria backs away, taking in the damage she’s caused. Seth sits down on the bed trying to hold back his tears. 

Maria looks down on him sternly, but slowly begins to soften. Regret starts to creep in.

Seth wipes his face and looks her in the eyes. 

SETH

That’s all I am to you?

Maria stares back at Seth, standing her ground. She doesn’t respond, her body language implying that she doesn’t need to.

Seth begins to bolden. What once was a whimpering man is now a soldier gathering his second wind.

SETH (Cont’d)

I don’t believe you. You might be good at sales, but you are terrible at acting.

Maria stands firm. 

Seth gets off the bed and approaches her. He’s ready for Round 2. 

SETH (Cont’d)

Last year when we were in Colorado I got the call that my mom- 

Seth pauses, and gathers himself. The pain of that moment still fresh. Maria notices, but she can’t show her hand. She’s too dug in.

SETH (Cont’d)

It was the worst moment of my life. You were there for me, then. It was the lowest I had ever been and you helped me pull it together.

Seth hovers over Maria, but her presence and strength put them on the same level.

MARIA

I was there with you, not for you. Don’t confuse proximity with emotion.

SETH

You sent flowers to her funeral.

MARIA

I’d do the same if a client’s mother died. It’s basic decency. 

Seth absorbs the blow, but continues.

SETH

Those earrings you’re wearing. I bought them for you when we were in Dallas.

MARIA

They’re tacky.

SETH

Then why do you still wear them?

Maria doesn’t respond. 

SETH (Cont’d)

What about Boston? The garden party where you got so sick from food poisoning and I spent two days holding your hair while you puked.

Seth’s words finally break through. A twinge of pain hits her face, but only for a second. Seth keeps it up.

SETH (Cont’d)

Or that layover in D.C. during that snow storm that turned into a full week?

Maria pretends to hold firm, fully unaware that she’s subtly starting to show her hand.

Seth catches it. He takes a chance and swings for the fences.

SETH (Cont’d)

Napa.

Maria’s eyes grow big.

Bingo.

SETH (Cont’d)

We spent four days drinking wine and touring the countryside.

Maria’s armor starts to crack. Seth touches her hand with his. She doesn’t recoil.

SETH (Cont’d)

We bought the most expensive bottle of wine they had and spent our last night there under the stars. We looked for constellations even though neither of us knew what the hell we were doing.

Maria’s eyes soften and she suffers a slight smile.

SETH (Cont’d)

Do you remember what you said that night? You wanted to freeze everything. Right here. 

Seth puts a hand on Maria’s face. She leans into it and closes her eyes, taking in Seth’s touch.

SETH (Cont’d)

You said you were never more content. Laying with me, under our stars.

Maria leans in, she’s completely entranced by the memories washing over her.

SETH (Cont’d)

That’s what you called them. Our stars.

Seth kisses Maria, gently. She kisses him back. Their passion overwhelms them as they wrap themselves further into each other’s arms, forgetting everything that had transpired before.

Maria tears at Seth’s jacket, pulling it off of him and throwing it to the floor. Seth pulls her shirt, fumbling to unbutton it.

Their passion is a fire, and it is raging.

Suddenly, Maria remembers herself and pulls back. She pushes Seth away and tries to shake off the emotions that are drowning her.

Sprinklers are on. The fire is out.

MARIA

We spent a whole week drinking wine. I was drunk. 

SETH

It wasn’t that.

MARIA

Shut up.

SETH

Admit that it’s more than that.

MARIA

I said shut up, Seth.

SETH

I feel it too.

Maria turns away, unable to look him in the eyes.

MARIA

Don’t say it, Seth.

Seth stops, considering her request.

He ignores it.

SETH

I love you, Maria.

Maria closes her eyes.

Dammit.

MARIA

Do you even know what you’re saying to me?

SETH

I’m saying that I’m in love with you.

Maria turns around and looks him in the eyes. She’s beside herself.

MARIA

Don’t you realize how crazy that is to say to me? Do you realize what you’re doing?

SETH

I mean it.

MARIA

How? How can you possibly mean it? 

Seth is calm and collected. He believes what he’s saying.

SETH

It’s true.

MARIA

It’s outrageous. You don’t know what you’re saying.

SETH

I know exactly what I’m saying-

MARIA

No! No you don’t, Seth! You don’t! You think you do, but how could you? We spend a few weekends here and there together a year. We share the best part of a relationship. When there’s nothing else except you and me.

Seth attempts to move closer to Maria, but she puts up her hand to stop him.

MARIA (Cont’d)

But, that’s the only version of me you know. You don’t know the one where you have to live with me. Where you have to put up with my schedule. My temper. You don’t know how much work it takes to love me. 

SETH

I already love you.

MARIA

No, Seth, you don’t get it. You already get all of the best parts of me. All that’s left is the bad. You really want me at my worst? Because that’s all that’s left.

SETH

It doesn’t matter.

MARIA

It does matter Seth! You’ve never been where I am. You think we’re on the same level but we are not. Outside of this we have completely different lives.

SETH

We don’t have to be. We can make this work.

Maria is dumbfounded. She grows solemn as she prepares to reason with Seth one last time.

MARIA

You realize that if this happens, we can’t go back to this. If you don’t… if you… 

Maria stops and gathers herself. She knows that she needs to be clear.

MARIA

You have to be sure, Seth. Are you willing to lose all that we have, right now, to try and have all of me? 

Seth and Maria stand in silence. Maria is holding her breath, awaiting Seth’s response.

He processes her words. His eyes take their time looking over her gorgeous frame from head to toe.

Then he looks back at her phone laying motionless on the bed. He feels the jealousy start to overwhelm him again.

He’s sure.

SETH

I am. I want you, Maria. All of you.

Shit.

Maria grabs her forehead in exhaustion. She knows what she has to do, and it’s going to hurt.

MARIA

Why do you always have to overstep, Seth?

SETH

You love me.

Maria looks back at Seth, armor on. She’s ready for the endgame.

MARIA

You are a vacation.

SETH

Admit it.

MARIA

You are a glorified fuck buddy.

Seth closes in on Maria. He reaches for her hand and she pulls back, wildly.

MARIA (Cont’d)

Stop it!

SETH

Say that you love me.

Maria, shaken and barely holding it together, stands her ground as firmly as she can manage.

MARIA

I… do… not.

Seth looks her in the eyes, and sees her determination return. His shoulders sink. He knows Maria, and he knows at this moment that all is lost.

He pushes through anyway.

SETH

You’re lying.

Maria plants herself like a tree. She struggles to get her words out.

MARIA

I don’t love you.

SETH

Maria, please…

MARIA

It’s not a lie. I don’t love you. I love my husband. I love my family. Whatever this is, it’s not love. And it’s over.

Tears fill Seth’s eyes. Conversely, Maria’s tears have evaporated. A chill has set in.

SETH

Maria…

Maria erupts in passionate fury. Her final volley.

MARIA

I said it’s over!

Silence overtakes the room. The battle is over. All that’s left is to bury the dead.

MARIA (Cont’d)

I would appreciate if you would leave now.

SETH

Don’t do this.

She takes off the earrings and throws them at Seth’s feet.

MARIA

It’s done. It’s all done.

Seth bends over and picks them up. He looks at Maria and sees that there is no changing her mind.

MARIA

Go.

Seth turns and heads to the bathroom. Maria holds her ground, not for any reason other than if she were to move she would crumble into pieces.

Seth returns from the bathroom with a bag. As he crosses back in front of her, Maria closes her eyes.

Seth stands in front of her. This is his last chance. Do or die. He waits for her to open her eyes. 

He waits.

And waits. 

And waits.

Finally, Maria slowly opens her eyes, readying herself for whatever is about to happen next.

There’s only an empty room.

The door sits open, the night wind blowing in.

Maria shuts the door with a slam and lets out a deep sigh. She leans against the closed door and takes in the room. She finally realizes that she’s all alone.

She softly hits the back of her head off the door. She does it again with more force.

MARIA

God… oh god dammit. Fuck!

She does it again. The ferocity growing.

MARIA (Cont’d)

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUUUUUCK!

Maria launches forward with a scream. The pain she had been trying to control finally unleashes.

She screams so hard her throat gives out.

She suddenly remembers herself and starts to pull it together. It’s no easy task. She covers her mouth with her hands, trying to calm the trembling that is overpowering her will.

Panic sets in. She starts to hyperventilate.

Maria surveys the room, trying to find a life raft. Her eyes fall onto Seth’s side of the bed, the sheets still bent and folded to his form. 

That only makes it worse.

Her phone vibrates. Maria’s heart skips. Her breath is trapped in her lungs. She snatches up her phone, a strange mixture of regret and hope overwhelms her.

It’s a text from Chad. Maria exhales, feeling both relief and disappointment. She opens the message; it’s a picture of Chad and Eric playing. The message reads “Miss you mommy!”

Maria smiles, tears welling up in her eyes. She laughs to herself as she finds her control once again.

She needed this. She’s found her life raft. She’s going to be okay.

After a moment, Maria springs into action. She grabs her suitcase and throws it on the bed. She begins to toss items into it. 

With one hand she packs and with the other she dials Chad’s number.

MARIA

Babe? Hey, change of plans. I’m heading home tonight. 

Maria walks around the room, collecting her belongings and placing them in her suitcase.

MARIA (Cont’d)

I just… I need to get out of here.

Maria walks into the bathroom and turns on the light.

MARIA (Cont’d)

No, everything’s fine. I swear. I’m fine. I just… I need this to be done. I’m ready to be home.

Maria scans the area, making sure she didn’t leave anything behind.

MARIA (CONT’D)

I’ll catch a red-eye and I’ll see you in the morn-

She stops, the wind knocked out of her.

Sitting on the sink is one single earring.

The tears are back, but there’s no sending them away this time.

MARIA (Cont’d)

No, everything’s fine. Just a… bad connection. 

Maria picks up the earring and holds it in her palm. She closes her eyes and swallows hard.

MARIA (cont’d)

I’ll call you when I get to the airport.

She looks at the earring in her hand. She closes her grip around it and holds it tight in her palm. 

Her hand begins to tremble. Her eyes begin to water. There’s no stopping it now.

MARIA (Cont’d)

I love you too.

She hangs up the phone. She closes her eyes and places her hand over her heart.

She finally lets herself cry.

FADE OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment