Monday, February 23, 2009

My Thoughts On Sean Penn Winning Best Actor

When I originally sat down to write this blog entry I was going to completely bash Sean Penn. I'll admit, I was disappointed because he won the Oscar for Best Actor. I genuinely wanted it to go to Mickey Rourke. Rourke was absolutely amazing in The Wrestler... he showed a kind of passion in that film that you rarely see in movies. I believed he was screwed, and I was ready to tear down Penn in retaliation.

I have never really been a big fan of Sean Penn. I had no interest in seeing Milk; I assumed it would be another vehicle for him to get his super liberal agenda out to the public. I was going to completely destroy him in this blog just so I could feel better about the injustice I believe that happened.

Then I thought about it and decided that I wasn't going to do that. Lately I've been very angry...if you need proof look at my last two blog entries. I'm getting really sick of being angry all the time. I enjoy using this blog to vent my personal frustrations, but that's not all I am. There is more to me than some guy who hates Michael Bay.

Oh man do I hate Michael Bay...

So instead of bashing Sean Penn, I'm going to congratulate him. I'm not in the Academy, and that's probably a good thing. I'm not in the business, and I didn't see all the movies that were nominated. I only have a biased opinion...I'm not a student of the art like they are. Regardless of my personal feelings, Sean Penn is a fabulous actor. He was amazing in I Am Sam, and I thought he was the best part of Mystic River. No, I do not agree with his political agendas. I do not like that the guy who played Spicoli, one of the funniest characters I've ever seen, seems to have no real sense of humor.

But, in the end I remembered something that A.R. Rahman said during his acceptance speech for best score and song, and it struck a chord with me.

"All my life, I've had a choice of hate and love...I chose love, and I'm here. "

Maybe I need to choose love more often.

So congratulations Sean Penn. If the Academy says you deserve it, then that's good enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment